Friday, October 05, 2007

The Windy City

I started a little trip over in Chicago to see my friend Josh and also because I had never been to the Midwest (beyond an airport). Someone told me that Chicago is great because of its working class roots. I would definitely agree. The city has a great night life, lots of younger people and not too heavy of a big city vibe. The highlight of the trip was going to see a Cubs game at Wrigley field. Josh, two of his friends and I barbecued a few blocks away then made our way to the outfield bleachers where we scored some great seats four rows above the ivy in left center field. I came to understand why Josh got so mad at me when I referred to Wrigley as a baseball stadium, it's not a stadium, it's a ballpark. The old style ballpark is so small and intimate that we could yell at the center fielder of the Pirates and he would laugh and nod his head. He even threw us a ball, at least we thought that he threw it to us. The toss was a little high and the ensuing scramble resulted in several beverages being spilled. But who can complain about a ballpark that sells tall cans of Pabst?

No comments: